Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Crash Landing

We were on a plane together
I don’t know where we were coming from
And I don’t know where we were going to
All I know
Is that we were flying together
On a grey day over a stormy sea

It seemed as though
We'd barely taken off
Before we started going down
Everyone panicked
Then the tail hit the water
But we caught flight again
For one brief second of hope
Until we skipped along the surface
Unable to rise once more

The emergency door was opened
So we crossed the aisle to go out it
Hurriedly though the plane was floating
You led me out onto the wing
We didn’t take our floatation devices
The shore was rocky but it looked
Like such an easy swim
 Ignoring the storm around us
Holding hands we jumped in

Cold water jarring soaked us
Fully clothed I was slowed
My movement inhibited
As the storms current prohibited
An easy swim to safety
Suddenly a wave came
So high it lifted the plane
Cresting just after

You were still beside me
When I looked before it hit
But you didn’t turn to see
If I was still there
Straight ahead you stared
So focused on the shore

The wave hit
Like a freight train
A fly swatter
Smacking me down
Down-down-down
Into the depths

I struggled not to breathe in the sea
As I used all my might to claw upward
All I could see were air bubbles in distorted light
I felt them carried easily by gravity
Speeding to the surface faster than me
Time appeared to stop
I feared I would never reach the top
My hands seemed unable to make purchase
Against the downward current

I believe it was only by force of will
That I reached the surface
To find myself alone completely
You were gone, there was only me
Alone and lost in the stormy sea
Freezing in the rain
As the rocky shore ahead
Silently called to me
Ending the dream

Meanwhile
In your mind
I was spinning
Swimming in a round pool
To create a whirlpool
In nature amongst some rocks

So wild the symbolism
How clearly reality is shown
Through these synchronized episodes
The connection they prove
While you remain dissolute
As you have disappeared to flee
From thought and sight of me
Your unconscious clings
So I haunt you in dreams


© Amber Morgaine Bougie
11/5/2019

Inspired by synchronized dreams had by both parties on the same night.































No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback always welcome!!! Let me know what you think, or are reminded of after reading. Thanks for stoppin' by!